Friday 11 December 2015

Why Soy Free?

A lot of people ask me why I don't use soy in my products because apparently everyone thinks that soy is an amazing natural and organic ingredient!  I see people boast about using it and I can only sigh.

Soy is the #1 GMO product in the world.  That means it is the least natural plant source.  It's been chemically and biologically altered to grow better, hardier, and more.  Now, some argue that that's what we need to do to ensure that crops are safe and we produce more food for the population.    This by no means means that that plant it now organic.  It means it's been bread to survive, which means it can withstand certain chemical pesticides other plants can't so when they spray the field with the pesticides, everything else dies, but it lives.

GMO crops can cause new allergies to be develop, create super resistant bugs and weeds that means STRONGER pesticides need to be used and that's not good for the crops or the surrounding environment.

ASIDE from all that, yes.  There are some nongmo soy sources, so let's talk about those.

Soy contains phytoestrogens that hinder the body's natural estrogen from attaching to cells. 

Soy is also high in isoflavones, a natural type of plant estrogen that can increase estrogen levels in humans.

There are several studies that say soy causes issues with breast cancer and certain ones that say it's perfectly fine.  The fact is, soy contains estrogen altering substances.

I have endometriosis.  It's painful.  It's crippling.  I will have a hysterectomy because of it.  Soy makes it worse.  Soy causes complications.  Soy exacerbates the tissue growth.... not just ingesting it, but applying it on the skin.  Yes, it's got some great omegas, etc.  But I can get those from over a dozen other sources that will not render me immobile with pain.

I didn't make the choice to keep soy out of my products based on fear mongering or random studies.  I did so based on my own personal experiences with it knowing it's done me more hard than good.  I would never want to risk that for anyone else.  Ever.

Here is a great article about the differences between Eastern and Western soy consumption and what should be avoided.  Again, use your own judgment.

Here is another good article explaining what to eat and avoid with endo.

Here is a personal account of one person's unbiased experience and research.



No comments:

Post a Comment